Saturday 3 November 2007

Bad Bamboo...




Name: Bad Bamboo (Fargesia denudata)

Height: Variable

Age: Unknown

Location: Nottingham, Broadway

Victims: Various

Witness account: Sam Watt-Porter, Student

“I’d been down Lace Market getting wrecked and this thing started grabbing at me and my friends, it was horrible. Cos I was so drunk I can’t remember exactly what it looked like, we were so scared running away we didn’t have time to look at it properly. I still can’t believe it took my friend, such a waste of a life.”

A gentlman named Roy Lancaster introduced this bamboo in the early 1990's.
Mid-green leaves and the culms are tinged yellow which can become a rich yellow
if exposed to full sun. However this mutation has taken on a strong red colour,
possibly due to it being a man eater and the blood discolouring its leaves.

1 comment:

Richard said...

The Broadway Building was built in the late 19th century, believed to be used as quarters for local council men. Being in the Lace Market area, and its dark, narrow alleyways, makes it an ideal hunting ground for this bamboo.